Insurance, reinsurance, arbitration, corporate, regulatory, legal research and reports.
- Law Degree, Faculty of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- LL.M (Master of Laws), Faculty of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Doctor of Law (cum laude) Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Research stays leading to the degree of Doctor of Law:
- Universidad de Salamanca, Spain.
- Universidad del País Vasco, Spain.
- Universidad de Trento, Italy.
- Recognised by the Chilean Government, Ministry of Finance, for his contribution to the new regulation of insurance contracts in the Commercial Code, Law 20,667.
- Consecutively recognised from 2014 by Chambers & Partners in the insurance area in Chile.
- Consecutively recognised from 2016 by Legal500 in the insurance area in Chile.
- Professor of Commercial Law at the Faculty of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Director of the Risk and Insurance Centre of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Latin American Centre for Insurance and Reinsurance Mediation and Arbitration (ARIAS LATAM).
- Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the Chilean Journal of Insurance Law.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Ibero-American Committee of the International Association of Insurance Law.
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Revista de Derecho del Sistema Financiero” (Financial System Law Journal), Aranzadi, Spain.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the AIDA Europe Research Series on Insurance Law and Regulations, Springer.
Member of the Chilean Chapter of the International Association of Insurance Law AIDA-Chile.
Roberto Rios is the author of numerous publications in his specialty, both in Chile and abroad, of which the following stand out:
2020: The duty of information in insurance as an instrument of rational decision in contracting and of protection in favour of the insured. In Revista de Derecho Privado, N.º 39, July-December 2020, 203-231, doihttps://doi.org/10.18601/01234366.n39.09. Article WoS.
2020: Transparency in the Chilean insurance law, Intermediation and Supervisory, in Pierpaolo Marano and Kyriaki Noussia (Dir.), Transparency in the insurance law, Springer publisher, Germany, accepted.
2020: Historical Evolution. Supervisory models and main objectives of the reform in Financial Market Commission, Ediciones UC, Santiago, Chile, in press.
2019: Transparency in the Chilean Insurance Contract Law, in Pierpaolo Marano and Kyriaki Noussia (Dir.), Transparency in the insurance law, Springer publisher, Germany, ISBN 978-3-030-31197-1.
2019: Regulation of the Insurance Contract in Chile, especially the protection criteria introduced by law 20,667 to the Chilean commercial code, in Alcalde, Jaime and Embid, José Miguel (Dir.), The modernisation of commercial law, Studies on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Commercial Code of the Republic of Chile (1865-2015), Marcial Pons, Buenos Aires, ISBN 978-84-9123-552-1.
2019: Imperativeness in the regulation of insurance contracts: Exception or general rule? A proposal for the interpretation of article 542 of the Chilean Commerce Code, in Revista Española de Seguro (Spanish Insurance Journal), Madrid, Nª 178, ISSN 0034-9488. Article Latindex.
2018: “The dispute settlement system in the insurance contract: a critical analysis of the arbitration rule in Chilean law”, in alternative dispute resolution mechanisms in Santiago-Chile, Thomson Reuters, pp. 263-279, ISBN 978-956-346-950-9.
2017: “The power of the mandated co-insurer to pay indemnity in the event of a claim”. En: Matías Zegers and others (editors), Studies in Commercial Law, 6th Chilean Conference on Commercial Law, Santiago-Chile, Ediciones UC, pp. 343-351, ISBN 978-956-14-2109-7.
2016: “Inadmissibility of the direct action of the injured third party against the civil liability insurer under the new Chilean legal regime of the insurance contract”, Revista Chilena de Derecho (Chilean Law Journal), Vol. 43, N° 3: pp. 877- 895, Santiago-Chile, ISSN: 0718-3437. Article WoS.
2015: The Insurance Contract, comments on Title VIII, Book II of the Commerce Code, Santiago-Chile, Thomson Reuters, pp. 5-30, ISBN: 978-956-346-634-8, AAVV (author and director).
2014: The pre-contractual duty to declare the risk in damage insurance, Thomson Reuters, Santiago-Chile, pp. 208, ISBN 978-956-346-552-5.
2013: “Jurisdiction and applicable law clauses in the reinsurance contract”, Revista Chilena de Derecho de Seguros (Chilean Journal of Insurance Law), year 15, Nº 22: pp. 97-109, Santiago-Chile.